Friday, December 10, 2010

The vacation that was Peru

The day before it was time to go back home, I was ready. I was ready to get back to Ohio and finish out the fall semester. I was ready to leave a country whose language I could hardily speak. When it finally happened, and I did my presentations and handed in papers, I was ready to go back to that country. I found myself missing the pace of life, its inhabitants who would greet you on the street asking to buy a massage or a picture with a Llama. I missed not having a car and walking the streets or riding with an unpredictable and erratic taxi driver. To me, though adventurous and busy, this vacation was an escape from my American reality. And that's what I missed the most.

The trip turned out to be more challenging than I thought, which was a good thing as it put me in my place as far as progress. One thing I've learned is that next time I should go into things blind and learn as I go because expectations of success or failure leave you fooled. Before the trip, I heavily researched altitude sickness in an effort to be fully prepared for its symptoms. The only thing that did was cause me to constantly look for its symptoms upon arrival. Thus, after the first day there, I over analyzed every step and breath taken. It was hard to relax.

Staying at altitude was a valuable experience on the fitness end of things. Yes, it did increase my anxiety during the first few days, making the source of nausea seem indistinguishable. And as scary as that was, I found it fascinating to be out of breath after combing my hair, sitting up in bed, or slowly walking up a few stairs. Now, whenever I run, I imagine that breathless feeling from such minimal activities and to not feel that breathless when I run makes me feel in amazing shape. I hope that when I begin speed work that this awareness can still apply.

Another experience that stood out for me, and one in which I can apply to both running and adversity, was hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. This was an instance where I did go into something blind. I had no idea that the section of the trail we hiked was only some three feet wide. This brought out a latent fear of heights. But even more challenging was going into the hike feeling slightly hungry, tired from a 3:30am wake up call, and carrying about 20lbs on my back, not to mention altitude, although it was lower here. I honestly felt as if the effort I was putting in was comparable to when I jogged a marathon, and not necessarily from the physical demands but rather, the mental demands. In all, it was about a total of four hours hiking. And with all the variables that could make my mind think negative, I survived and felt a sense of achievement.

The next day, we also hiked another mountain, Huayna Picchu, which overlooks the ruins of Machu Picchu. I was excited for this hike and felt fully capable after the previous day's success. However, this trail was more difficult and all up hill. My friend Emily and I were carrying a good pace but once we reached the top, not only was the fog still there (preventing us from seeing an amazing view) but I also noticed my hands swelling up. This freaked me out, not enough for a full on panic attack but enough to want to get the F outta there. The only problem was that it was just as dangerous going down as it was going up. Focusing on my breathing and taking careful steps, I calmed down and so did my hands, giving me another experience to draw on and take back with me, especially in those times when I get into "baby" mode.

Looking happy, with Emily, almost to the top

Just a glimpse of the minimalist trail

At the top, pissed off, crabby, swollen, want to get down.
I think that look is at James!

In all, the biggest lesson learned from the entire trip is that if I'm still breathing and conscious, I'm alive. You're probably thinking, "duh", but for someone like me, it was a huge wake up call. You see, I always assume the worst is going to happen, quite a common symptom of generalized anxiety. This trip was my first international travel experience and it included altitude, lots of transportation, and was two weeks long. James had to remind me of these out of character challenges quite often when I would get negative and irritable. Since being back, however, I've noticed more mental strength, even if I have to remind myself of it at times. There was a bit of a struggle to get back into a routine when I got back but it was helpful to let my body rest and control what it wanted to do, which was sleep and use the bathroom, a lot.

Generally speaking, I still think it is fascinating that you can be in a major city one moment and in an hour, be in another via the airplane. Traveling reminds me that there are so many different ways to live life. Our emotions may all be the same but the experiences, different. I look forward to seeing and living more of these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment