Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Beginner

Technically, I've been running for about ten years. But lately, I feel as if I am just beginning. I feel as if I am just starting to understand what it means to be a runner. It doesn't mean having the latest technological gear, the coolest watch, or the best shoes. It doesn't mean you are fast or slow or even entering fancy races. To me, running is a way of life and a way of thinking-- thinking and reacting on the fly, a consistent process of problem solving through mental challenges.

I used to think I couldn't run on any given day if I didn't get it in before the sky turned dark. I used to think I couldn't run after eating ice cream. I used to think I should take off from running in the winter because it just wasn't worth the cold, snow, or time spent on the treadmill. I used to be afraid to face change and deviation from a schedule. Ever since I started running again last summer, I feel a parallel between my personal life and running life.

I feel more brave with my running, a more confident stride. When I finish a workout, this confidence does not stop. I try to carry it over to my professional life. I have taken on multiple challenges with my new job, territory I've always wanted to venture into but was never brave enough to try. My mental toughness at work needs trained just as much as my legs and lungs need trained. I sometimes worry that I may be taking on more than I can handle with school, work, and running. However, I am at least going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment