Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Slowly getting faster

I don't know what fast feels like yet but I'm beginning to get acquainted with it. After my two easy runs this week, I did some speedwork on the indoor track. Monday, I ran a mile in 7:59 but was displeased with it as I felt I could go faster. So I attempted to go fast but for 800 meters (5 laps) and finished in 3:36. I don't know why I stopped because I felt as if I could have repeated the same time or better for a faster second mile. I guess I wanted to take it slow. After all, my heal is slightly achy lately. Tonight, I did 2 x 800s after an easy 3 mile run and improved with a 3:26 and 3:32. Recovery was easy and the only issue I had was with my upper legs, as they felt like they had diarrhea. Breathing-wise it felt great and such times are faster than my 800 repeats from the summer.

During my 9+ mile long run two weeks ago, a good (boy)friend of mine told me that if I trained for it, I could run a 3:00 marathon based on the fact I was able to hold a conversation at a sub-8:00 pace for 9 miles. I almost choked on my spit when he said that. But that moment has stuck with me ever since. No one has ever believed in me or my potential, except myself. I guess that's all that matters but it helps tremendously to have another's support to train hard. That being said, the first goal is to qualify for Boston but I would like to train like I want to run a sub 3:00. A few days later he asked if I ever puked from a workout. The fact that I never have says I have a lot of work ahead of me, trekking onto uncharted territory. The only difference from before is that I feel invited now.

No comments:

Post a Comment