Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Finally, Boston! And some other thoughts.

Boston changed their standards today and I couldn't be more excited! I think running has caught on a lot in the last ten years. Not only have more people qualified for Boston but more have also qualified for the Olympic Trials. I think it's always a good thing when standards have to be tightened because it forces runners to work even harder. To now qualify, I will have to run a 3:35 marathon and then wait for faster individuals to register first. However, I do think I could eventually run faster than 3:35. In fact, another long term goal of mine is to qualify for the New York City Marathon based off their competitive standards that guarantee entry (3:20). But for right now, I'm training at equivalent paces to run a 3:35, though I don't have enough mileage under me yet to hold such a pace over 26.2 miles. I'm off to a good start so far, 47 days in and still counting.

Although I'm no expert because I haven't qualified yet, I think a 3:30 marathon is not all that hard to do. The hard part is putting in the work to get there, especially considering most of us aren't elite. We have to work around the schedules of adulthood. Even without any children, it takes a time commitment that can sometimes be challenging. Though certainly, not having children makes it a hundred times easier to train. Lately, though, I've noticed a positive effect on my mood due to my commitment to train. I feel more vibrant and alert in other activities when I include a daily run or swim. I haven't felt this good health-wise since high school, when I first started running. Sometimes if I wait until the evening to run, I notice that I start to get antsy. Then when I run, I feel back in control and alive. So no matter what my future goals are racing wise, I hope to never lose sight of my commitment to get out there daily to maintain not only my fitness but my sanity as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment