Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pushing through winter

Sometimes an easy recovery run on a treadmill is harder than a workout, whether it's indoors or outdoors. Yesterday this happened to me. I don't mind the treadmill for tempo work, intervals, and stamina runs. But it's incredibly difficult to do an easy run on it! It's boring, even if I have music blaring in my ears. And with music, it's harder to stay slow. This was a 6 mile recovery run/jog. My legs were perfectly fine going slow but mentally I was struggling...until I thought that this could be a good test in holding back and letting my body recover. That mindset made the remaining three miles feel better and in the end, it was a pretty refreshing run.

Overall, this winter hasn't been too bad. In fact, I'd say it's been the best for me, and in part, due to a change in mindset. You don't need the latest high-tech gear to stay warm. Just layer up, wear a scarf, double up on gloves if you have to, and slow down on ice. Don't let the clothing companies fool you! The roads may be covered and it may be more windy, and sometimes it's so cold, it's better to run indoors. These extreme conditions often give you inaccurate perceptions of your progress. However, I feel that because of this consistent work during an inconsistent season, that come spring, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment