Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mind games

I ran the St. Malachi 2 mile race this weekend. This year's course was changed and thus, a tad longer than 2 miles. Knowing this before hand, I decided not to focus on running a certain time and instead try to race, or at least run mentally strong. I achieved both goals. My time, based on 2.08 miles, wasn't that bad, especially considering a nice hill at the beginning of the race. I also finished second woman overall but no one really showed up that day.

Throwing all cares and worries about time out the window gives me such a free feeling. My speed will eventually come. What was great about this race is that I ran even (basically 7:00/mile pace). There was only about 300 meters where I mentally struggled and had some negative thoughts. This occurred around the 1.5 mile mark and right after a tiny incline into the wind. Racing wise, I passed two runners during the start of the second mile, one of which I ran with for about 400 meters before dropping him. For the next 400 meters I was pretty much alone. When I approached the finish line, I almost caught another runner, as well as the first female, without knowing she was first place.

This little race was such a good exercise in running mentally strong. I'm so used to feeling like crap and struggling a lot during and after a race so I'm not exactly sure if I really did push myself or if I just ran strong. My strength has been the improvement in my running lately. So where 7:00 pace used to feel all out, now feels strong and controlled, which is a very good sign. Other improvements in my strength due to mileage increases and consistency include: easy run and long run paces are quicker and a 15 second improvement on 800 meter repeats. I also handled my first week at 35 miles ok. When I took a down week this past week and ran 30 miles, it didn't feel like I ran much!

Now that my little 2 mile experiment is over, it's time to focus more on distance and continuing to improve my strength, which includes mental strength. I think mental strength is something runners tend to ignore in practice, especially in the midst of huge time improvements. Once a bad race comes along, and the mind doesn't have enough practice, it's hard to get out of such a negative thought cycle. Right now, I'd rather have a tough mind versus very fast legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment