Monday, March 28, 2011

Some fun runs

The fitness streak is up to 86 days. There were a couple of close call days with my foot but they quickly passed when I listened to the body and took it easy. I'm up to averaging 35 miles a week, though it's been a slow process getting there, with adjustments made on the fly. However, I feel comfortable where I'm at right now and have my eyes set on the Cleveland Half Marathon in May. I was hesitant to sign up so early but 1. I'd rather waste $65 than $85 if I get injured between now and then and 2. it might sell out soon. During the last 86 days, I've had some interesting runs. A few weeks ago, I ran in my jeans after being in a car for twelve+ hours. Surprisingly, I felt light and found a nice neighborhood to run in at night. The jeans were quite sweaty afterwards, sticking to my legs. But very warm! Then there was the infamous dog bite run, which occurred two houses down from me. I have since seen the teenage daughter walk the dog with a leash and feel as if I accomplished my first unofficial family therapy session with her following the rules laid out by her father. Keep it up neighbor!


One of my favorite runs recently was doing a 6 miler at 10:30pm, alone, on country roads. Some would say that this is not safe at all. And they are somewhat correct. However, I think it's sad that one should feel scared to run alone late at night. It says a lot about our society. So instead of thinking about the bad in humanity, I assumed the good and ran as free as I could that night. I jumped at the sound of crickets when I turned onto a street with a marsh. And I swore I heard voices in the tall grass to my right. Those trees sure were talking that night, too; their branches creaking like the sound of an old rocking chair. But by the time I made it back to the town square and its street lights, I found myself longing for more of that nighttime serenity.


I've never run this much before and so I'm starting to see that each day the run feels different. A new experience, new scenery, and new feelings every time. The unknown is now exciting, rather than scary. The day could be going horrible but I look forward to what the run may bring later on. Right now I'm on the road and find even more excitement running in new places, exploring. It also helps to be surrounded by fellow runners here. Given that each day is unique in its own little way, makes it that much easier to take life and my training one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment