Monday, July 11, 2011

New (out)look.

I've renamed this blog because it focused on one goal. And once that goal was to be achieved, what would happen next? This type of focus is very linear. Set goal, work on goal, achieve goal. Such a focus hurt my running. I felt pressured to train for and run a qualifying Boston time before I finished my Masters degree because once I had to go back to work, it would be impossible to do so. Thinking this way meant that after graduation, running would not be a big part of my life. Yet, you live and you learn.

Over the last couple of months, I felt freed by my expectations when giving my body an unlimited amount of time to train for somewhat lofty and time consuming goals. Running has now become a part of my life everyday, similar to brushing my teeth or showering. I have a ton of goals, most of which involve faster times. But at the same time, I want to be able to balance these goals with other areas of my life, such as my future career as a therapist. I still want to qualify for the Boston Marathon, but I'm in no rush to do so, especially given that I am injury prone when running higher mileage. For me, every run is a step towards improvement. I want to get faster because it is fun to challenge the limits of my body. With this new focus, I know that I'm headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment