Monday, November 30, 2009

3 x 1 mile

Goal was to run 8:00, 7:50, 7:45 to ease back into mile repeats. Granted, things would be interesting given that they were run on rolling inclines. The first mile was perfect in 8:01. The first 800 was a little fast (3:45) but that was due to a decline. However, the second half was mostly uphill so it evened out and felt good.

I am still trying to learn what 7:45-7:50 feels like. It's not that fast and I have to remember that. The second mile was in 7:35, too fast for my body at this point in training. The first 800 was in 3:36 and mostly rolling. The second half was uphill so I was happy with 3:59. On a rolling route, it's hard to expect even and negative splits. However, 7:35 was still too fast. I was happy with that time but knew I wouldn't be able to repeat it or do better on the final repeat.

The final mile was relatively and purposefully flat and I ran it in 7:53. The pace felt right in between the first and second repeat so hopefully I can work with that feeling and have a more effective mile repeat workout next time. That's what practice is for!

Overall, this base training so far has been good to me. I've worked back up to 20 miles a week without any major aches or pain. I'll occasionally have to ice my feet (heal and toe pain) but other than that I feel pretty healthy. After looking at my summer training, I realized I was getting injured easily because I increased my mileage too quickly from one week to the next. This time around, I'm paying more attention to my weekly increases in mileage. It definitely helps to have started training this far out from May so that I'm not rushing like I was in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment