Friday, November 13, 2009

30 minute tempo run

Last night I was faced with running indoors due to work and class all day and the time change. I had planned on the treadmill but forgot about the tiny indoor track upstairs at Akron's Rec. At the time I wasn't sure how many laps equaled a mile so I decided to just run based off feeling. I hadn't planned on it being a fast feeling run (aka tempo run) but couldn't help but push it with people up there. I should have warmed up but figured walking on campus was good enough. However, next time I won't skip that part.

I stayed with a man in a USMC t-shirt, hoping to pass him near the end of my run but he ended a lot earlier than I had planned on going for (30 minutes). It was good racing practice hanging with him. Afterwards, I kept focused on the pain feeling and pushing through it (or at least accepting it). I really tested my fitness that night but it felt incomplete not knowing my pace. However, it is sometimes helpful (especially in the base training phase) to run tempos off of feeling and not time. The trick is not backing off. I knew I was pushing it when I didn't back off at the first sign of fatigue or lactic acid build up in calves (which eventually went away). Wrapped up with some strength training.

No comments:

Post a Comment