Thursday, September 9, 2010

The six minute range

On Monday, September 6th, I took my chances with doubling up in the racing department at the Aurora Labor Day Classic 1 mile and 5k. I chose to focus more on the mile. The result indicates I need help in the speed department and some more aerobic work. However, I also still need help in the pacing department as I went out way too quick and then died around the halfway mark. Looking back, I guess it wasn't that bad. I started in front thinking I would avoid all the kids doing the run but as soon as the horn went off, I realized that I should have let them go, knowing they would take off sprinting. I fell into their pace and had about a 76 sec 400 meters. I am not there yet. At 800 meters, I was on pace for a 6 flat but came back 20 some seconds slower and finished in 6:24. My blind eyes couldn't see where to stop either so I stopped early, adding a few seconds to my time. No excuse though as I was taught to go through the shoot. I even reinforce it with the XC team every week and here I go, ignoring my own rule!

Overall it was a good effort, especially for going in blind. This was about a 10 second PR and a first place female finish. More importantly, this effort introduced my body to the six minute range, a range I would like to be able to start racing at. Taking a few days to let what disappointment I had fizzle, I was able to find a positive perspective: At the beginning of the summer, I went out and did a mile at a pace that felt "all out" and the result was a 7:46. In two months, all out is now 6:24 (well, almost 5:40 if I could've held that starting pace, which felt all out).

For the 5k, I didn't know what to expect feeling wise, especially after feeling slightly disoriented after the mile, so I set my expectations low. This proved beneficial and demonstrated my fitness when I finished 1 second faster than last week in 22:16 (consistency even when going in to the race with non-fresh legs). I finished 3rd overall female but there were quite a few in the 22s behind me. I held 3rd place for much of the race so I was left trying to race guys. I passed a few at the end but also got passed by a few at the end. I definitely could have had a stronger kick and I need to remember that for next time. I felt even the entire time, something positive I noticed during the last two 5ks. In the past, I went out way too hard and died around 1.5 miles, kind of like the mile! I am happy with how the day turned out. This whole racing into shape is fun! Also nice when you win gift cards for running, kind of fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment