Friday, April 22, 2011

Flexibility is not just the 'bility to touch your toes.

In the field of counseling, I am continually taught that being flexible is a desirable trait to have. Whether one is a flexible counselor or client, it is arguably the most sought after goal of many. I think in my field, I'm pretty flexible- quick thinking, open-minded, and always expecting change. But in my running, I tend to become inflexible. And this inflexibility often leads to injury.

At the beginning of this week, I felt recovered from my down week. I had the goal of hitting 40 miles until I noticed some recurrent ankle/shin disturbance 6.5 miles into my 8 mile run on Monday. The next day was an easy 3 mile recovery run I ran slow and likewise, felt no pain. Although I did feel awkward and hesitant, like there was too much baby-ing going on. Wednesday, I woke up and did my first run on an empty stomach to simulate carb depletion. It was actually fine 4 miles in but on the last mile, the ankle pain came back. This was probably the worst it had felt and left me with a frustration that wanted to quit running for good because all I ever deal with is injury. The rest of that day sucked so I just attributed it to the nonseasonal weather we've been having.

On Thursday morning, I vowed to myself to be more flexible. I opened up to the idea of cross training on my easy run days in order to recover from all the pounding that my body can't seem to handle. I planned to swim but forgot my goggles and swim cap at home. Instead of going back to get them, I headed to Hudson to meet James for an easy run. The difference was that I experimented with an Ibuprofen. And low and behold, I had a pain-free night run. I could've ran today but instead, I saw last night as a freebie before a real injury hits again. So, I swam for sixty minutes (what I would've run) and spent some time in the weight room.

There is still a part of me that feels inadequate for not running higher mileage. But at the same time, there's another part of me that realizes I'm not training at such a high level yet or running incredibly fast times that cross training might actually help my training, rather than hurt it. As of today, I consider myself more flexible. I have to make sure to listen to my body more. The original plan called for running seven days a week in order to spread out my daily mileage as a way to avoid overload. However, my body was upset it couldn't swim anymore. Thankfully, the experience this week opened my eyes up to many different training options. I want to be able to have a successful race experience in three weeks, where my running feels smooth and effortless. Being open to different options can bring me closer to that goal than merely putting in 40 miles a week, especially if I'm crawling by the end of those weeks. For my upcoming half marathon and subsequent long term goals, the long run is the most important workout of each week. While it's probably not smart to do a long run this week, if I cross train properly in the next couple of days, I'll be able to achieve better long runs in the future. Likewise, I'll be on my way to better fitness and hopefully more miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment