Saturday, April 30, 2011

Jumping on the X-Train.

Earlier this week I made the decision to wrap my running up early due to the on-again-off-again ankle pain. The decision ended up being easier than I thought. It actually felt like a burden removed from my shoulders. To save my base fitness that I never really got to use for specific workouts, I am doing the most cross training I have ever done. I've logged 90 minutes in the pool twice this week as well as a 90 minute bike ride outside. I am viewing these cross training workouts as adventures or a trip- such as a bike ride to another city or a swim to a small island. They have been going by quicker than expected and if anything, I'm getting used to being active for 90 minutes at a time. I've also incorporated pool running and the elliptical, both which have improved since last year.

Part of me is nervous that I won't be as fit as I wanted to be for the Cleveland Half on May 15th. Yet at the same time, I feel much stronger during my swims and bike rides. I think it will be most important for me to be mentally strong come race day. I've put in the most work that I've ever done for all activities so I have that going for me. I'm hopeful that I will have a pain-free race that is mentally strong. Whatever time that results in, I will be happy. Because of the little ankle mishap, I don't expect as fast as a time that I originally wanted to run (1:38-1:41). But since I haven't done many workouts, I wouldn't put it past my body to surprise me considering the strong base I've built. I'm definitely going in blind so this will be a nice experimental race to see how well cross training holds one's fitness.

Nonetheless, it will be a stepping stone to faster times. I'm proud of the work I've done since December. I hope to get 100% healthy after the race and then begin to utilize the base I created for my next racing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment