Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Weekly Recap

Monday: 4.8 miles (41:40)
Night run around Aurora/Rt.43. Started off cold and crabby but ended strong and loose. Also had my first fall of the year, a slip on ice = a mark on butt.

Tuesday: 3 miles
First run in Painesville on the Lake Metroparks bike trail. The wind and snowfall made it hard to see but the path wasn't too filled yet with snow making the surface feel like a fluffy blanket. However, the run pretty much sucked as I felt very sluggish.

Wednesday: 4.5 miles (1 mile warm up, 6 x 800s on indoor track, 800 cool down)
Ate a jumbo hot dog right before the run and felt it after the third repeat. I was going to call it a day but then thought about the feeling I would have later at night if I would have not even tried to continue the workout. I took a longer recovery and mentally got back into finishing the workout after the 4th repeat, making that my accomplishment for the night as splits were not as fast as I expected them to be. However, for feeling stiff, being indoors on a small track, and having a hot dog digest while running, I am pretty happy with the results (3:38, 3:41, 3:48, 3:48, 3:49, 3:46).

Thursday: 4 miles
The plan was to run 8 miles but the sluggish streak continued. I cut it short at 4 miles. My right heel was pretty dull and my left shin began to ache more during the run. It didn't help that my mp3 broke a couple days ago and so I was left listening to a FM radio that didn't tune well while on the treadmill. Boo-hoo, I say. Mentally, I have not been into my running this week so far and this day I hit rock bottom. When I got home last night, I noticed I had not taken any days off since last Friday. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but I have not yet trained this hard in my career. I probably should have taken a day off after my long run on Sunday.

Looking ahead, I am going to rest tomorrow in an effort to prepare for another weekend long run. Then next week, I will focus more on distance than speed as I am lacking in supporting volume (to the long run) each week. I do feel that the majority of my issue this week is a mental one. However, I am going to monitor my heel and shin just to be safe (i.e. cut the long run short if needed).

Friday: Off
Mentally recovering...the more negative and complain-y I get, the more achy I feel. I believe that because I am entering new territory, I am going to be more tempted to give up. It's a small hill I am climbing right now.

Saturday: 9.2 miles (90 minutes)
Took it easy and experienced minimal pain, evidence that most of my issue is mental as I increase mileage. I went 8:30 pace for a good M.I.A. song and noticed my heal and shin feel better as I went faster. I think these issues are biomechanical so I will continue to analyze the theory that faster means healthier for me, or at least more efficient.

Sunday: 5 miles (44:24)
Midnight run with the "ex" boyfriend around the Northhamptom neighboorhood. Wore my Lunaracers because I feel most efficient with them. It's possible I operate better with a lighter shoe, I certainly feel like I do. Great way to not only end a sluggish week, but to end one of my favorite holidays ;)

TOTAL: 30.5

No comments:

Post a Comment