Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekly Recap

Monday: 3.6 miles including 5k Cross Country race
Only time I will get to race with the team so I took my chances and rusted out a 24:16. Afterwards Gorby was showing me my times from high school and it's safe to say I beat my high school XC PR. Considering about a month and half ago a 7:49 mile felt hard, I'll take being able to run three 7:49 miles in a row on a somewhat hilly course. I didn't plan on going all out anyway and felt controlled the entire race. I was able to pick off quite a few runners throughout the race and accomplished my goal of remaining even. Looking back, I feel like I could've pushed the last mile a bit more so I will keep that in mind for the future.

Tuesday: 4 miles
Trail run in Sand Run park with strides and drills afterwards. Nice, refreshing run with some rolling hills.

Wednesday: 3 miles
Easy recovery run

Thursday: 6 miles (track workout: 1 mile warm-up, 2 x 3200, 1 mile cool-down)
1st 3200: 15:20 (7:45, 7:35)
3 minute rest
2nd 3200: 15:10 (7:40, 7:30)
Started the workout at midnight so struggled a bit during the warm-up but once I got going it felt great- even splits on each lap, except for the first mile, where it took a while to get locked in...but this is what practice is for. I didn't feel like I went all out and I was very happy that I could switch gears when needed and finish faster each time. I was right on time with what I wanted to do the workout in. This workout also helped me differentiate between what it means to race and what it means to train. James says you want to have a little left in you after a workout whereas in a race, it takes a little magic. Yeah, you want to aim for even splits and a powerful ending but you are also given the go-ahead to test your limits. If I can get a decent first mile in during a 5k that isn't a crazy fast pace, I think I can put what I have learned so far together to piece a nice finish.

Friday: 3 miles easy, 1250 meter swim

Saturday: 45 minutes on elliptical

Sunday: 7 miles
hilly, decent pace for a longer run

Total: 26.6 miles running, 1250 meters swimming, 45 minutes elliptical

No comments:

Post a Comment